Friday, September 10, 2010

One-two, One-two, And A Third

Here would be where there is a great big announcement about those bloggy changes, but if you follow me on Facebook, you know that Wednesday night and Thursday morning came with almost no break between them, which means that I spent all day yesterday with my head in a hole. Jack refused to sleep. Just plainly refused. And Hen.ry wanted to wake up every hour or so, screaming, wanted to be put in the bassinet, no, not the bassinet, the bed, NO, NOT THE BED, you fools! Get me out of the bed! WAAAAAAAAAH!

Yeah. Bad, screamy sort of night.

I was really worried that Wednesday night was a harbinger of things to come as they are on the cusp of three months, and I hear this is the magical point when everything changes, hopefully for the better. However, sometimes the change is just change, not better, not worse, just different. As one of my Facebook friends reminded me yesterday, three months is when her kid quit sleeping for more than two hours at a time, and he kept this up for TWO YEARS. And I died a little, right there, when I read that. Because there's nothing worse than being bone tired and realizing that you're never NOT going to be bone tired for the forseeable future.

However, the boys must have sensed my desperation, because they gave us a break last night, and fell back into their usual routine of giving us at least one good, long stretch of sleep (too bad it happens between 7:30 p.m. and midnight, when I'm awake for a good portion of that time...). I feel like a different person today. It's amazing what a few hours of sleep can do.

ANYWAY, my point is that these impending changes require, as I previously mentioned, going over all my posts with a fine-toothed comb, attempting to hide anything that might be even the slightest bit incriminating, while ensuring that there aren't gaping holes in the narrative of the blog. Because otherwise, what's the point?

So, soon, but not yet. Of course, it's not as exciting as I'm making it out to be. Those of you with WordPress blogs on which I've commented in the last couple of days have probably figured out that beeinthebonnet is, in fact, Kate (Bee In The Bonnet). So yes. I've registered a new domain over at WordPress, where I can password-protect posts as I'd like to. I'm still torn between posting too many identifying details, even under a password, because to be honest, I'm still not sure who leaked my blog to H's colleagues, and what good is a password-protected post if the password is in the hands of someone malicious? It prevents people I know in real-life who I may not be aware have access to this blog from reading certain things and then inappropriately sharing those things, but it does not prevent the case of a random stranger being given access, only to put two-and-two together and sharing my personal information with people who I'd rather not share that information with.

There's the rub. How do you share your story as you'd most like to share it while still maintaining at least the pretense of anonymity? You just really can't.


However, whether I'm ready with my new-blog-celebration or not, my blogoversary happens anyway. So. Happy Three Years to me. It's paltry in comparison to the big blog switch that I had planned, but here is the post that started it all on this blog space:
Firstly
Read as you'd like.

Funny, despite all the big changes in my day-to-day life, at my core, I don't think I'm all that different than I was three years ago...

And now, because I know why you all really stop by, here's a picture from our morning:
Morning!
J.ack left, He.nry right.

9 comments:

Marie said...

Happy three years missy.

Blow out your imaginary candles and make a wish. You can wish for sleep, it's cool.

Anonymous said...

Happy Third Blogoversary! Sorry you had such a rough patch there. Nav and I just this week realized that if we got as many of our chores done before the boys went to bed then we could go to bed earlier too. Which is how they went down at 9:30 and I was tucked in by 9:35.

Take as much time as you need. There are some bloggers who are great with hiding personal information. Pseudonyms and no face showing pictures. But I can't figure out how to do it myself. Wordpress is probably a good call. Or at least a closer step towards more anonymity. And the boys are, of course, adorable.

Melis.sa said...

I love how serious Hen.ry looks :)

Happy 3rd Blog anniversary!! Thank God you got some sleep. I know how even an hour more can help

Tracy said...

Ugh. The sleep deprivation. Flashbacks. Bad. Brutal. Just, ugh.

It seems like around 3 months or so, I really started sleeping whenever the kids slept. I remember going to bed at 730, and I remember napping every afternoon with one of them on my chest while the other was next to me in a bouncy chair. I know they tell you to sleep when the babies sleep, but it was hard to do that in the early days when you're still trying to figure it out and maintain SOME time to yourself. But I just gave up, accepted it as short term, and slept whenever I could. Didn't solve the entire problem, but did make me feel like I could make it to 2 years without losing my mind. As it turned out, things gradually got better until they were *finally* sleeping for 12 hours at a stretch around 9-months. That's not to say we didn't get some longer stretches before that, though, so don't despair.

I don't know what to tell you about the whole privacy thing. Even with my blog, it's not entirely private...it never could be unless you share it with nobody or those that you 100% without a doubt trusted. Unfortunate.

Anonymous said...

we're finally sleeping in these parts and i'm kicking myself for not trying to let the kids settle sooner. seriously. crying for 5 minutes is not bad. but they never did it before a few weeks ago.

happy blogoversary! :) it's so hard to be able to share but still be private. i find myself wanting to overshare all of the time, but after being burned by the crazy psycho at work i prefer just to share more with the people i want/am able to through emails and facebook :)

um...did you say that you were running in FLIP FLOPS? i'm impressed. i know there's the new barefoot running movement, but i really don't see how i could even do it. seriously. and you sould get a swing or two. they were only $20 a piece. they're also always on craigslist for cheeper. it provides us fun on a daily basis. it's almost like a reset button for them!!

and of course you know your kids are so cute! ;)

Esperanza said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the rough nights. Having had a pretty rough day and night this past 24 hours myself I feel a fraction of your pain. A fraction of about 1/2 I think. I seriously do not know how you do it with two. You are a saint. I was ready to leave my daughter in her big crib to cry all night long last night, I was so frustrated. I can't IMAGINE doing it with two. My lord.

And happy three years blogging. I just came up on one year and was proud of that. Three years is amazing.

Exciting to hear you got a new domain (I was wondering why I had to approve your comment the other day!) I'm also overhauling my blog, though keeping my domain. More on that to come. When you make the big move? I need to change it on my google reader huh...

Photogrl said...

Happy 3rd blogoverary!

I'm glad to hear the boys gave you a break, and you had a better night. Fingers crossed that they start to sleep more and more.

Anonymous said...

Those are some beautiful boys you've spawned there, my friend.

Happy three years. May there be many more, with no meanies blowing your cover and suchlike.

And yes, sometimes the change is just change. I have found with C's sleep that as soon as I think there is a pattern, something shifts again slightly. On the other hand, I only started detecting a pattern around 5 months or so, and since then I've learned that it is less fragile than I first thought. Things can change and stretch but the basic routine is still there, like the outline of an essay. I hope that whatever routine they end up with becomes clear to all of you soon, and you start being able to count on some regular sleep.

jenn said...

Happy 3 years! Here's to getting what we all want- more sleep!
Pumpkin had a very rocky way into a sleep routine. We'd get a pattern going and I would finally start to think I could feel 'rested' again, but then it would change or break or completely go away for 2 weeks entirely! She was still getting up at least once a night until 12 months and 2 weeks. And then it stopped (I am still knocking wood!!) I don't know why but it was a switch that finally flipped and she was done. It happened around the time of her self- weaning too. Not sure if that's related at all.
She will still occasionally get up, or cry out in the middle of the night- but now I make sure to wait to get up & 9.9 times out of 10 she goes back to sleep on her own really quickly.
I hope the boys settle into a routine nicely for you- but more than that I hope you can adjust to their routine and nap or rest when you can because that was impossible for me to do.