Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sleep (An Update)

So count this as a giant, sleep deprived DUUUUUUUH.

H and I both realized last night that our evenings have been going as such:
Both boys happily nurse to sleep on mama. Both boys transition happily to their bassinet, where both boys appear to sleep fine. At some later point, Henry wakes up fussing, but falls asleep almost immediately upon being picked up and rocked in our arms. He then transitions happily back to the bassinet where he appears to sleep fine... until half an hour later, when he wakes up fussing, but falls asleep almost immediately upon being picked up and rocked in our arms. In the odd moment when he doesn't immediately fall back asleep, after a few minutes in the rocker, he falls back to sleep in our arms. He transitions pretty easily back to the bassinet, but... wakes again 30 minutes later fussing, whereupon he falls asleep happily in our arms. Eventually, each night, he has ended up sleeping up in the big bed with either H or me, at which point he wakes periodically to nurse, but sleeps for much longer stretches.

Ask me how it took so long to figure out, but you think maybe Henry isn't the biggest fan of the bassinet? For a while there, he was okay in it. And for the most part, Jack is still okay with it. But yeah. Last night, we took both boys in bed with us from the time we went to sleep, and they slept so much better. Jack didn't give us his usual long stretch, but they did both give us a couple of three hour stretches before going to an every-hour-and-a-half early morning wake up routine. Progress? Maybe...

Of course, it makes it a lot easier to deal with the sleep deprivation when you get to wake up to these cuties:
Sleepy Cowboy

Anyhow, we're stumbling through. We'll make it, I think. I do totally appreciate all of the advice, and I will be trying some of those ideas to smooth the rough spots (and to entertain the boys during the day!). We'll see whether we can squeeze a bit from our budget to afford a mother's helper or something like it. Regardless, we will be going out this Friday for my birthday, and hoping that they at least sleep for part of the time we're gone! (It turns out that both girls who offered to babysit are both available now and happen to be roommates... I'm thinking with our latest sleep issues, I should maybe hire both of them to be here. It would be worth it for the peace of mind, knowing that I'm not leaving an 18 year old home alone at bedtime with two sleep-protesting infants.)

So. Thank you, thank you, thank you, as always, for all of the advice and all of the support and the commisseration. I really, truly, genuinely appreciate it.

14 comments:

Ellen K. said...

It's a great idea to ask both girls to babysit, because bedtime for twin infants is sometimes a 2-person job.

I think 3 months is typically the end of bassinet time. We had the girls in cribs after 4 weeks, but by 3 months they wanted needed more flailing-about room at night.

I can't tell you how much I & N enjoy looking at your boys' pictures and videos! J & H remind me of N. and I., respectively, at that age, as far as facial shape and expressions go. The video of J. with his toy bar reminded me of N., too. So these pics and videos are a treat for all of us.

Suzy said...

your boys are just precious! I love ICLW and the new friends I get to meet every month :)

Marie said...

Do you ever look at the yawning baby and say, "Well if you would just sleep like a normal person then neither one of us would be yawning"? lol.

And why o why is the term sleep like a baby even used? Us sleep deprived know that nobody in their right mind would like to sleep like one of these critters ha!

Sarah said...

Awwww, I have a Henry too!

Here from ICLW and just wanted to say hi :) We brought our Henry to bed with us too and we all slept much better, until we didn't. But that is for down the road. I am a firm believer in getting sleep however you can!

Melis.sa said...

someone had on their blog about leaving a heating pad (on the lowest setting) in the crib/bassinet until it was time to put their baby to sleep. I guess they'd keep it on the changing table until needed then move it to the bed. It helped their little one sleep. Might be worth trying?

My DD did not do well in the crib and we co-slept. For this one I want to try the heating pad trick (assuming...)

Sarah said...

Happy ICLW!!

Your boys are super cute!!!!

Happy Early Birthday!

ICLW #100

Deanna Zachrich said...

Wow! Twins.
I've read through some of your blog posts, and sounds like you have your hands full with two beautiful baby boys. Congrats!
It's always nice to get to know more great moms through ICLW.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how at such a young age they start telling us things. If only they also came with an interpreter so that it wouldn't take so long for us parents to figure it out!

Have a happy birthday! Yes, having both would probably be wise. At least the peace of mind might be worth it.

Kakunaa said...

Congratulations on your twins :) they WILL settle into a real sleep routine :) they are both gorgeous, and I loved your about me post :) Happy ICLW!! Enjoy those kiddos :)

#90

Anonymous said...

Definitely both sitters...

They are so cute!

Stefanie Wolfaardt said...

I love ICLW and all the new blogs I discover. Congratulations on your twins

~Stopping by for ICLW #69

Anonymous said...

What cuties - and I love the cowhide onesie! I don't know how you're managing with 2 - I find one hard enough... Happy ICLW!

Jessica White said...

Go for it with asking both girls! I'm sure, if nothing else, they'll appreciate it.

Your boys are absolutely adorable!

ICLW

Anonymous said...

omg. the cow onsie? sooo cute! :)

i remember m was the same way about sleeping. 30 minutes in her crib or hours when she slept with us. even if she wasn't touching us. t was happier just to sleep in the crib. funny how they can be so different, right?

happy early birthday! you should totally go out and have fun. and you should use both girls. one crying baby is overwhelming enough. if both woke up and cried? who knows what would happen!!

xx